Wednesday 1 October 2014

Rustic Chicken Pie

When it comes to feeding my family and friends and feeding your body and mind, nothing beats good old fashioned home cooked meals prepared and served with love. 
That is what my household is all about. It is also fun when the kids help you in the kitchen and the bonus for me is that I don't have to constantly be keeping an eye out for what mischief my boys are up to as they are right under my nose. 

There should be no excuses about home cooking as the pro's simply outweighs the cons, so the way I see it is a win-win situation as it it saves you time and money, it ensures that you are getting fresh nutritious food and alas spending quality family time. 
So here is my first recipe for you to start your home cooking today. I have decided to share with you my Rustic Chicken Pie Recipe. One of my favourites and my boys just love to dig in. 

Rustic Chicken Pie 
Serves 4-6 



Ingredients 
A few glugs of olive oil 
750 grams chicken breast cubed 
1 onion finely chopped 
2 cloves of garlic crushed 
Sprig of thyme finely chopped 
2 carrots chopped 
250 grams brown mushrooms chopped 
250 ml chicken stock (homemade or substitute with good quality shop bought) 
25 grams brown onion soup powder 
water if required
salt freshly ground black pepper 
1 beaten egg 
ready made puff pastry 

Method 
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius 
Heat oil in a heavy based pot 
Cook the onions over medium heat for roughly 5 minutes 
Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes 
Add the chicken stock and the brown onion powder and allow to thicken 
Stir in the chicken, carrots and mushrooms and allow to cook 
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper 
Spoon the chicken into 6 oven proof ramekins and top with circles off pastry and brush with beaten egg 
I don't trim the edges, I fold them over to give them a rustic feel 
Bake for 15 minutes until pastry has risen 
Serve your rustic chicken pies hot with a healthy big bowl of salad 
Enjoy with a glass of Boucheron White Merlot.... yes you read right a "White Merlot" simply delicious!!!
Find out more about this delicious wine by clicking on the link below.



http://boucheron.co.za/white-merlot?attributes=61_White%20Merlot 



2 comments:

  1. So yummy!!!! Just read your blog and it's wicked honest.....I love that! My little master chef is also happiest in the kitchen with his mum xx <3 Hope to try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete